Having Enough Confidence I Am Right

Posted in

When he was 22 and working at Google, Rosenstein had the idea for "Gdrive," which was developed to sync files across your computers, let you share with others and worked on Windows, Mac, Linux, and the Web. It was so "useful, it was amazing," but the program was turned down by Larry Page:

Justin Rosenstein.(LinkedIn)

"Larry was so successful and smart, I just didn’t have the confidence back then to do what I wish I’d done in hindsight: Put together a clear, coherent presentation on why Gdrive was the time to make a rare temporary exception to Google’s product integration strategy ... maybe I still wouldn’t have convinced him, but, in hindsight, I think I just didn't try hard enough. I didn't have enough confidence I was right. I also didn't have the organizational capital to influence the Google Docs team, and so when Dustin asked me in 2007 to join Facebook, I left Google without completing the project. Google eventually launched an integrated Gdrive five years later ..."

"So what did I learn? If you’re managing a project inside of a company, living and breathing it, the onus is on you, not upper management, to understand and articulate the marketing positioning and strategy that’s unique to your project. If management still disagrees with you, I wouldn’t fight them, but have enough confidence to make your case with conviction."
(Source: LinkedIn)

This entry was posted on Friday, September 5, 2014 at Friday, September 05, 2014 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

0 Review