Mistake Turns Out Best Decision

Posted in

After selling his company to CNET, Rosensweigg was offered a job with Yahoo, but turned it down because he wanted to stay and help his team transition under new leadership. Soon after his decision, the stock market crashed and Rosensweigg lost a lot of money.

Daniel Rosensweigg, CEO of Chegg.com, turned down an opportunity at Yahoo because he felt like it wasn't the right move.(LinkedIn)

His decisions seemed like a "giant mistake personally, professionally, and scariest of all, financially," but one year later, "that mistake would turn out to be one of the best decisions of [his] career." At this time, Yahoo changed its management team and needed a new COO, a position offered to Rosensweigg:

"A year after walking away from a generous offer, I ended up joining Yahoo in a much higher position, with a new leadership team, a new board, and what I believed to be a huge opportunity. Sure, there were still great risks to making the leap to move my New York based family out to Silicon Valley. It was a costly move, in many ways, that my family wasn’t initially thrilled about. But together my wife and I decided this time the reward seemed to outweigh the risks; and the outcome of making that move was the most magnificent professional experience I have had to date."

"I took the risk to do something for the right reasons at the right time and fortunately that brought about great results ... You can never know the road not taken and at the time I didn’t know my big mistake would turn out to be such a great life changing experience."
Source: LinkedIn

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 9, 2014 at Tuesday, September 09, 2014 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

0 Review