Can Not Force Everyone Like You

Posted in

After appearing on FOX’s hit reality television show, Paradise Hotel in 2003, Kerpen dealt with public backlash:

Dave Kerpen (far right), CEO of Likeable Media, on FOX’s reality television show, Paradise Hotel.(LinkedIn)

"I had some tough times, both while filming the show as well as afterwards, when the show aired and I had access to message boards, forums, and magazines. It was pre-Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, so people didn’t have those outlets to talk in — but they did have the message boards on Fox.com, and many people said some really nasty, hurtful things about me.

"I’ve always been someone who likes being liked (who doesn’t, right?) and always had a hard time taking criticism, but this was a whole new level of criticism, dislike and outright hatred to deal with.

"I distinctly remember calling up the show’s therapist Kris ... I’ll never forget [what] Kris [said] to me. "Two questions, for you Dave,"  he said:

"One: Just how many people in the world do you need to like you to be happy and then, Two: If those people all liked you, how would you know?"

"Today, ten years after Paradise Hotel, I still love being liked, and I still have times where I crave being liked by everyone ... [but] no matter what you do, not everyone will like you. And that’s okay."
Source: LinkedIn

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 9, 2014 at Tuesday, September 09, 2014 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

0 Review